Scott had to write something up for the recent fundraiser that AOL did for the American Cancer Society -- this is the first time I got to read it..and thought I would share it here:
Personal Story: Scotty Hoaglund
By Scotty Hoaglund
In the summer of 2008, my worst fears were confirmed when the pathology from a biopsy taken from a mass in my colon during a colonoscopy said I had colorectal cancer. I was very scared, depressed and didn't want to talk about it at the time. My wife and I told our close friends, our team members at work and our family members. All were in shock. We made a decision that we were going to remain positive and kick this cancer's butt using modern medicine, the power of positive thinking (be it prayer or whatever you want to label it) and humor.
I had surgery to remove the mass which was successful, and the doctors determined that the cancer had not spread to other organs or lymph nodes. While I was recovering from surgery, I was referred to a clinical trial at Georgetown Hospital where I was accepted and randomized into a test to receive a drug that is not yet approved for use on stage 2 patients like myself. I have completed 14 sessions of chemo treatment over the last seven months and have ten more sessions to go, but who is counting. I have made it through the worst and I am getting better everyday.
Getting through the treatments has been extremely difficult mentally and physically, and it has made me realize how important friends and family are. My wife Stephanie has been a Wonder Woman through this all by taking me to treatments, keeping the household running, dealing with the kids, and millions of other things I may not even know about. My wonderful kids, Hannah and Nate, are a joy and reminder of what we are fighting for. Our amazing friends, who we consider family, help us with household chores, watch the kids when needed and would do anything to help us out.
Then there is my AOL family. Over the past 14 plus years of my career here at AOL, I have met some of the smartest, most funny and most giving people on Earth. It is very comforting to know that I have the support of my management, team and coworkers for the biggest fight of my life, and for that I am extremely thankful.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Scotty's story in his own words
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I am so grateful for all the loving care and support that surrounds Scotty and Stephanie. It is a parent's worst nightmare to have a child (no matter how old that "child" is) stricken with a serious illness - especially cancer. It brings me great comfort to believe Scotty is living in the exact place he needs to be for his care and treatment from doctors, nurses, support staff, family, friends, and work envirnoment. I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart. With all the prayers and wonderful research these days, I do believe we will soon crack the code to curing this terrible disease. God bless you all.
Post a Comment