YIPPEEEE. The port removal was successful and we are beyond thrilled. It was a fairly easy procedure and took about an hour although we were in the hospital for about 4 hours waiting and waiting, then recovering. We are such experts at the hospital routine now, it seems like old hat.
This is a pic of Scotty getting ready for surgery, even before the happy meds, which goes to show you how happy he was. He was pretty sore afterwards and took it easy for a day or so. Other than some incision tenderness and some itchiness, he is in great spirits.
You know, I was thinking-- there was no huge sigh of relief or a flow of emotions. I think because we just approached this as another task in this thing called life, we just keep motoring on. Scotty isn't one for self reflection or the why me. He is more like "Oh Shit, what do I do to fix this" kind of person. ( Yet Another reason why I love him so much.) I don't think he read one cancer help book during this entire year which is fine with me. It's not who he is. You can be sure I did, it's who I am and what he expects of me.
One thing I think that really helped Scotty cope this year was talking 1 on 1 with another cancer survivor. As much as we talk, I can't possibly know what it actually feels like to have cancer and sharing feelings and experiences with someone who has been there is in some ways more valuable than just me and him talking about it.
Well, let's close the chapter on our chemo journey. We will be seeing a neurologist in the weeks to come to address some of the lingering side effects. We are still part of the international colorectal cancer study and will be talking to Dr Marshall regularly and treking out to G'town every 3 months for our evaluation.
Here's to the official start of our new beginning...cheers!
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
When i know your husband in the diagnosis of cancer, I am very sad. but I remain proud of your spirit. your blog waslink in my web(www.danister.com), I mean if other people read, can learn a lot on your great spirit.
thanks
Post a Comment