So - Hannah had some random virus today so she was running a low grade fever and just overall felt bad - so I was not able to go to Georgetown with Scotty today. I was apparently missed by all - as Scotty said everyone he saw asked "Where is your wife?", or "you are not able to process information or make any important decisions without your wife
Dr Marshall explained that he was 50/50 on whether we should continue on course and take the Avastin through September. The data showed that there was a 3% improvement if taking the drug during the course of a year but that improvement leveled off after 3 years to the same as without the drug. So - that it was really up to us to decide. Scott told him he wanted to think about it and talk it over with me and we would let them know. Dr M said that he supports any decision we make.
If we are truly done with the Avastin, that means that the real recovery can begin. Dr M talked about doing 45 mins of exercise a day, taking certain supplements, and modifying his diet a bit to include more fiber and fresh/clean foods. Common sense. He can go ahead and have his medi-port removed and we can begin healing and recovering as a family. He will need to go back every 3 months for blood work and dr visits. The headaches are troubling though. If they continue, Dr M wants him to see a neurologist although the CT scan did not show anything. He can't stay on painkillers for ever!
Wow - how come everything in our journey is not black and white? Whether to do chemo at all was not a simple decision and now whether to continue on is not. I want something in this journey that is easy -- Dammit! I think Scott is leaning towards stopping the Avastin. The 3% isn't that huge and his prognosis is already very very good. I support anything he wants of course but I am also leaning towards moving to the next stage. It's been a long trip and I want to go "home".
I joke to my friends how will Scotty handle the recovery part of this? He hasn't done his own laundry in almost a year. Hasn't taken the garbage out in almost a year. Hasn't mowed the lawn in a year. The list goes on and on. Getting back to the point where we both run the household will take some time I am sure...but I can't wait.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
I want to go home...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment