CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chemo 2 - Check

We left the house at around 7a-ish. Dropped the kids off with Annette for breakfast and unloading at their daily locations, then went on our 1hr 20 min commute down 66 to Georgetown Hospital. We arrived and went to the Lombardi Cancer Center and then waited for a bit to see Dr Marshall. First, they took Scott's stats, then we met face to face with our trial coordinator, Karen, and then Dr Tran evaluated Scott's current condition. We talked about how he is feeling - emotionally and physically. They gave him some meds to help with his sleeping or lack thereof.

Dr Marshall came in with Dr Tran and Karen next. Dr Marshall really has a great bedside manner. Sets everyone at ease. Dr Tran wanted to give Scott some Ambien but Dr Marshall felt Ativan would help more so they actually gave him both for sleeping since Ativan also helps with nausea. We also talked about the genetic results. Scott had one marker found in his mass, the one that causes the cells to not stick together. I can't remember the name of it. Dr Marshall said it just happens and they don't know why it doesnt function right with Scott. The kids should get checked a bit earlier than others due to this however. He did say Scott's prognosis is still very good and we can expect the same side effects from chemo 2nd session as the first. He did not feel that his dosage needed any adjusting.

We then went up to 7 West - the infusion floor. Mercedes our nurse set us up in Room 18 and then we waited. She took some blood and then we waited some more. First in, first ready for chemo cocktails. They gave Scott some zofran for nausea and then started on the Ativan first. Then they do the 2 hour Folfox regime. My friend, Steve Mobley (aka Smob), does some lab work at GT, so he came to visit us and then we went out for lunch for a bit on the campus. It was a gorgeous day. Smob & I came back up and spent more time with Scott. Smob and Scott talked "techy geeky stuff" most of the time. We finished up there around 4ish and headed back to Ashburn. We dropped of the new scripts at Target and then went home. You could tell that Scott was starting to not feel so great when we were at Target - his color was greenish and pale.

Ellen B. offered to pick up the kids from AOL. She brought them back to her house for fun and dinner. Once Scott was settled and the kids were worn out, I headed out to pick them up. I don't know what I would do without my friends. We are so lucky to have them in our lives. Both Nate and Hannah know about Scott being attached to his chemo bag for a few days and are extra gentle around him. I can hear all 3 of them playing legos together right now.

Scott goes back around 130p on Thurs for the chemo removal and port flush and we start all over again 2 weeks from today. We are both pretty worn out. I feel guilty being so worn out after today. I am not the one getting chemo, but the emotions I have during this weigh heavy on me. I am tired. There I said it - tired. It's a constant flux of making sure things are taken care of, logistics worked out, bills paid, schlepping, errands, exercising - how can I not be tired?

Scott wore his :C shirt today during chemo and someone in the elevator said, "that's the right attitude to have" and smiled. We have no choice but to get through this with jokes, humor and a positive attitude. Both Scott and I are not wired to do it any other way.

0 comments: