We needed to get to GT hospital around 1p today which would be 46 hours from the time the meds were administered and the alarm from his man purse would be going off. Hannah and Nate had Sunday school and then I dropped Hannah off with Annette and then drove over to Ellen's so that Nate could have a fun filled day with his friend Ryan.
Scott has been very weak, tired and just overall wiped out. He has had some nausea as well. So we drove there - no traffic and had to go into the bone marrow wing. The Lombardi Cancer Center is closed on the weekends. We waited there around 25 mins and someone came in to take his vitals. His bp is good and he did not have a temperature. He is still sore from the medi port surgery. Then nurse Kelly came in and donned her chemo suit (which I am assuming is to protect her from getting chemo on her body). Comforting that they are putting this in Scott's body.
Nurse Kelly removed the meds, and the port - flushed the port with saline and heparin and we went on our merry way. Scott had some soup when we got home and went upstairs to bed.
I hate to keep saying this... but man I am wiped out. Mentally and physically just tired. Just think it's only the beginning of this. I took the kids to sunday school, schlepped them around to their playdates, did probably 4 loads of laundry, went grocery shopping, took Scott to GT, mowed the lawn, did more laundry, picked up Hannah, cleaned the kitchen, made the beds in the house... All this just on Sunday before 6p! Later, I am making dinner, getting the kids bathed, picking out Hannah's clothes for school tomorrow, getting her papers and school stuff in order all before I get myself ready for my day tomorrow.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Chemo 1 - Check
Posted by steffy at 3:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
hey steph - it's jen. is this a hickman line you are talking about here? just curious..my brother had one of the first ones put in way back when. hickman lines go straight to the pulmonary vein, but i couldn't tell if that is what you were talking about.
xoxo
Hey Jen,
I think youa re talking about a PIC Line. This is very similar to that but PIC lines are good for about 3 months. This is a Medi port which goes through a vein in the neck area, and its good for up to 12 months.
A Hickman line is used for long term chemotherapy. Could the Medi-port be a Hickman but inserted with one entry point under the clavicle (at insertion time)? I don't know. Possibly the latest version of a Hickman?
Post a Comment